It is Thursday morning and we have nothing planned for the day. Not a thing. I have planned not planning anything today so my kids do not start to expect an outing every day this summer. We're almost 1 week into summer vacation and we've gone somewhere or seen friends every day so far. I need to lower the bar some now. They need to just be with each other and their collective imaginations and the endless amount of
crap toys we have here. I'll report on this first day of summer nothing-ness tonight.

Well after I wrote my intent for the day, I sat with my cup of Dunkin Donuts coffee and decided to browse through some websites on my favorites bar. The girls were exiled to the toy room for mandatory playtime as I lazily surfed the web. I happened upon a blog of a sorority sister and she had recounted her accomplishment of cleaning windows recently. And I was suddenly inspired to get some stuff done today while my kids were sequestered to the confines of our house and yard. And so I checked this big task off of my to-do list today!! Outside, inside and screens scrubbed and sprayed and Windex'd. Surprisingly, the girls managed to keep themselves fairly entertained. I all but threatened them to not touch the windows or I would cut off their fingers. Okay, I didn't really say that, but I'm pretty sure they knew it was implied. I need to be able to look out through perfectly clean windows for at least one day and appreciate my hard work before they are smudged up again. I may actually get to look out my clean windows all night, too, because I'm pretty sure my Dunkin Decaf was
not, in fact, decaf. - (I can't metabolize caffeine for some reason after I had Emily and add the diet coke I had with lunch and I don't think I'll have trouble staying up finishing my book tonight.)
 |
| Cleaning the slide while I was cleaning windows |
By the time we came indoors this afternoon, I had some momentum going and decided to mop and vacuum the floors and drag the girls to the grocery. The groceries were still being put away when they once again ran outside to swing and ride and run. Of course there was some complaining about being bored and sisters not cooperating from both girls, and Emily nearly bit through her lip when she fell in the driveway, but all-in-all I think they enjoyed just having each other's company today. They wanted to help clean anything with soapy water and we even found time to make some Father's Day things for Tom. But the highlight of the day for me was after Emily woke up from her nap and I was cleaning bathrooms upstairs and I happened upon my girls quietly rocking in the glider in Emily's room. Casey had Emily snuggled on her lap for some wake-up cuddles. They stayed like that long enough for me to run and grab the camera and for even longer after I got the shot. Be still my heart.
 |
| I couldn't believe I walked in on this sweet moment |
 |
| Smiling Sisters |
You go, girl!
ReplyDelete