Flu season is well underway here and each day Casey comes home and tells me the new members of the went-home-sick club in her class. All of our hands are chapped from the washing and sanitizing, but we've all gotten our flu shots, so we're doing our best to stay healthy. Chapped fingers crossed!
The girls and I had a completely scary experience in the car the other day. They had off for MLK day (which was also inauguration day, which was also being tagged as National Gun Appreciation Day :) and we were on our way home from hanging out with friends in Loveland via I-275. The sun was shining and we got on the highway, along with everyone else, going 60 mph. Within a mile, I hit a patch of black ice, which we didn't know was there until my car was sliding to the right then suddenly to the left - almost 180 degrees. Somehow we ended up back in the correct lane and direction without getting hit! I still cannot explain how we didn't get hit - there were plenty of cars on the highway available for us to plow into or them into us. Afterwards, I was shaking and Casey asked me why I did that (meaning drive the car sideways). And then the whole highway was ice until we got off at our exit. I honestly don't think I got over it until the next day. It was so, so scary and I can't stop thinking about my little kids in the car who no longer sit in the protection of 5 point harness car seats. That same day 2 interstates were closed due to 80 and 50 car pile ups. I am sooo ready for winter to be over!! I can almost tolerate the single digit temperatures we've been having, but driving in unsafe conditions nearly leaves me packing for Florida. Ahhh, the sunshine, warm breezes..... I think I'll go look at pictures of the house we have rented in Hilton Head for June right now.
Besides trying to stay healthy and safe, we've been trying to eat better here, too. I think I've done a good job so far trying to buy extra fruits and veggies and less processed sides. While the girls will turn their noses up, I swear only because it's like a right of passage of childhood, they are pretty good with the fruits and vegetables. They both love steamed green beans and broccoli and seem to like a lot of fruits. I have managed to hide from them the fact that I hate most fruits. I have my whole life. I've challenged my mom on several accounts as to whether she actually pushed me hard enough as a kid to eat fruit, but she swears she did and I just gagged when forced. Nothing's changed. I still cannot handle the texture of most fruits. Basically all I eat are apples, melons, and bananas. Thankfully, my kids haven't noticed that I don't eat fruit and they only have selective aversions to blueberries (sometimes), oranges and pineapple. Some nights we are busy (or lazy) and I resort to the quick frozen foods. Thank God for Trader Joes!! Their frozen, quick dinners are so easy, tasty, affordable and mostly healthy. Tonight Tom wasn't home for dinner, so we had frozen spinach ravioli. Yum! Sure beats chicken nuggets. I so wish the Trader Joes Gods would open a store up here in the burbs!!! Seriously, if a Gap and Trader Joes would open stores here, I may never need to go to Kenwood again.
I signed up for a beginners photography class and it starts next week!! Ironic there are no pictures in this post, huh? Between potty training, which is still going mostly well except for the 4 pairs of underwear I've had to throw away (I am seriously glad I saved all of the underwear Casey grew out of - I don't feel bad tossing it in the garbage :) and indulging in curling up with books in the evenings (not really, since all my books are on the ipad, but curling up with my ipad doesn't sound as lovely), I haven't really taken many pictures. But then we really haven't been doing that much to photograph. Unfortunately, with the weather so cold, we've all been spending too much time in front of things that plug into the wall, but at least after my class I'll be able to take really great pictures of all of us in front of the TV, ipad, iphone, computer and games, right? :)
No comments:
Post a Comment